Be inspired with these project ideas using VELLUM cuts from your first edition Cricut machine (or any electric die cutting machine)!
Just a quick note that this USE WHAT YOU HAVE-“Vintage Cricut” Series is NOT meant to be a how-to series for learning to use your Cricut machine. The series is meant to give you inspiration for ways to use the CUTS you have made with your Cricut. Even if your machine is an older model, the tips and tricks in this series are timeless. Also, this post contains affiliate links.
Today’s tips are all about cutting VELLUM with your machine!
Watch the video HERE:
First, there are a few things to consider when using vellum in your Cricut:
1. MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure to set your machine to accommodate vellum. Very thin vellum may tear. You will want to adjust the PRESSURE and SPEED of the cut. For best results, set aside some “scrap” pieces of the same vellum and run a few tests in your Cricut first.
2. VERY IMPORTANT: Consider adhesive options BEFORE cutting. You could try to use an adhesive sheet against the entire piece of vellum before you press it to the cutting mat, but I find that it doesn’t hold very well this way. Plus, it interferes with your cut settings. My favorite go-to with vellum is to use a Xyron adhesive after cutting.
Once you cut the vellum and decide on an adhesive, then the fun begins!
3. FLOWERS, FLOWERS, FLOWERS – Use a LOT of them, and use them in clusters! Get creative with the flower centers, too! Try metal brads, liquid dimensional dots or plastic buttons!
4. CUT LETTERS AND LAYER INTO THE BACKGROUND – Create beautiful backgrounds with script vellum lettering! Or, make birthday cards or scrapbook layouts “pop” with a personalized background of numbers or names.
5. MAKE GIFT TAG COMBINATIONS – A gorgeous packaging idea is to attach 2 tags cut from your Cricut, one cut from cardstock and one cut from vellum. Try using the “shadow blackout” shape setting for even more variety. Stamp and heat emboss on the vellum with white embossing powder to finish off the tag.
6. CREATE LITTLE ACCENTS FOR CRICUT ANIMALS OR CRITTERS – It’s so cute to give little critters a vellum flag to hold or a little vellum accent of some sort.
7. BONUS TIP – Run vellum cuts through an embossing folder for even more variety! Looks great with nature image cuts like flowers or leaves.
Thank you for looking! Please share with your crafty Cricut friends!
Don’t forget to follow the Sandpaper Road blog so you never miss a post!
Did you miss the other posts in this series? Check them out HERE:
USE WHAT YOU HAVE – VINTAGE CRICUT – STACKING
USE WHAT YOU HAVE – VINTAGE CRICUT – PATTERNED PAPER
USE WHAT YOU HAVE – VINTAGE CRICUT – SHADOW BLACKOUT